The infamous Apa Sherpa, who has been on the top of Everest a record 21 times, and is now a global warming advocate, is on a trek of awareness in the Himalaya now to broadcast the message that Everest is melting, and the ensuing loose rock slides will soon make Everest unclimbable.
The conditions are deteriorating so much that the mountain may be unclimbable in a few years, according to Apa Sherpa, a Nepali climber who has reached the summit a record 21 times.
“When I first climbed there was a lot of snow and ice,” Apa has said of Everest’s decline. “But now most of it has just become bare rock. That is causing more rockfalls which are dangerous to climbers.” — TNT UK Magazine
So now I’d like to know how you feel.
1) I need to hurry up and climb this now while it’s easy
2) I’ve done the Colorado Fourteeners, so long scree slogs are cake
3) There’s like no chance of a vested interest in this news release, right?
4) The whole Eastern end of that land mass needs to look at their own industrial pollution first
5) I’ll never climb Everest so I don’t really care one way or the other